Hallo,

I searched high and low to find how "command interpretation" actually
works. But all I found is [1]:

  `echo command interpretation with interpolation and backslashes`
  %x(echo command interpretation with interpolation and backslashes)

Now, this does not explain what kind of interpolation is done and more
importantly: How to switch interpolation off.

Background: I use ruby on the vms operating system and I want to run the
following test command:

  x = ˇ­WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$TRNLNM("SOURCE")ˇ­

But all I get is:

test.ruby:8: warning: parenthesize argument(s) for future version
test.ruby:8: parse error
  x = ˇ­WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$TRNLNM("SOURCE")ˇ­
                         ^
 From which I deduct that some "magic" is done with the $ character
which I don't want.

Martin