Hey Sherm

Thats really great thank you! Much much clearer now :)

In ligt of your suggestions I have reworked it so my couple of methods
are

  def showConnectionSheet
  NSBundle.loadNibNamed_owner('Connection', self)
  NSApp.beginSheet_modalForWindow_modalDelegate_didEndSelector_contextInfo(@connection,
self.window, self, 'didEndSheet:returnCode:contextInfo:', nil)
  end

  def didEndSheet_returnCode_contextInfo(sheet, code, context)
    return
  end

But then I get an assertion error:

*** Assertion failure in -[NSApplication
_commonBeginModalSessionForWindow:relativeToWindow:modalDelegate:didEndSelector:contextInfo:],
AppKit.subproj/NSApplication.m:3057

In the initial Apple example code there method is marked as (void) and
not an (IBAction), can this method not be called directly? Also, I have
establised an IB outlet which im guessing the nib is loaded into? Are
there any tutorials at all out there on using sheets?!

Cheers again for your ongoing help

Tim