Dave Thomas wrote in message ...

>Andy & I've been asked to write a feature article about Ruby for Linux
>Magazine (www.linux-mag.com).
>
>I want to make this an upbeat article, featuring Ruby's strengths

Upbeat is good.

Features that impressed me are

irb - interactive scripting with immediate response is really neat and
makes it easy to learn what is happening.

complete objects - gotta love no more for loops!  3.times wins every
time for me

small size, incomplete but evolving set of libraries - Ruby is still
small enough to learn quite quickly and the fact that the libraries are
still incomplete and evolving means that there is still a lot of room
left for people to contribute. The opportunity to contribute back to the
Ruby community is a large part of the fun/joy of Ruby, and is a great
upbeat message.

Rubicon - the Ruby community is serious about ensuring that Ruby works
the same across all platforms

>What small applications would whet people's appetites?

I'd suggest pandering to Brian Marick and showing a simple script that
can walk a website and find broken links. All it would have to do would
be to simply walk over a web page, find all links and fetch that link.
Obviously, if it sucessfully fetches an external link it should not
start validating that page :-)

Pete
----
Pete McBreen, McBreen.Consulting , Cochrane, AB
email: petemcbreen / acm.org    http://www.mcbreen.ab.ca/

Author, "Software Craftsmanship The New Imperative"
Addison-Wesley (C) 2002