On May 6, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Robert Dober wrote:

> However John I still fail to see why you were happy with "eval" why
> would you need it?
> If you feel the need for eval in this context it is for 99% wrong,
> maybe we can help you better if you describe a little bit more of your
> needs.
>
> Maybe all you need are objects with a name property and maybe it would
> be best to use a different name (see how the two levels that
> designation can be used might become *very* confusing) like e.g.
> how_I_call_this_object (that is an extreme example of course).
>
> Cheers
> Robert

Well, exactly all I want to do is to be able to take a set of
objects, and then list them by the name or reference (the one used in
program code) then list them and their contents. I don't really need
to do it. I just was kind of wondering if it was really possible or
practical, but it seems to not be.

example would be:

class Person
    attr_accessor :name
    some other attributes ...
end

p1 = Person.new
p1.name = "Mickey Mouse"

So I'd like to generate a list like so:

p1  Mickey Mouse, attribute, attribute, ...
p2  attribute, attribute, ...

maybe it's not necessary to do this. I want the instance's name (like
p1 here) to be accessible and manipulatable like an attribute as well.