Hi Geoff,

when developing your Rails application you don't need any web server
(until it comes to the deployment on your hosting server ;) ).

Rails comes with an in-build web server (WEBrick) that you can start
with "script/server" from your Rails app root directory. But you'll
still need MySQL though ;)

Cheers and best regards,

Enrique Comba Riepenhausen