On May 5, 2007, at 6:25 PM, David A. Black wrote:

> On 5/5/07, Gary Wright <gwtmp01 / mac.com> wrote:
>> Ah, I was missing the context of 'sorted keys'.
>>
>> It seems to me that the desire to have sorted keys and
>> to also have keys that are not comparable would be
>> an indication that something isn't quite right, either
>> the design is wrong or there are some bugs to be
>> removed.
>
> It's not that integers aren't comparable; it's that they're an example
> of something you wouldn't want to filter through to_s prior to
> comparing.

I wasn't clear.  My 'not comparable' comment was about a hash
with heterogeneous keys (integers, symbols, strings) or a hash
with non-comparable keys (symbols).

I agree with you that the ability to convert everything to a
string via #to_s or even to an integer via #object_id doesn't
necessarily result in a useful ordering.

Gary Wright