On 5/5/07, eden li <eden.li / gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting... although it sounds a bit insecure since you don't
> authenticate and it's being run in the clear over the wire.
>
> I wonder if there's a way to get ruby to tunnel this via ssh.
Unless ruby sends address information on the application layer (as
e.g. Corba does or in redirects) you can do ssh port forwarding.

Let you IRB server serve on server:4242, assuming an ssh server
listening on port 22 on the server and a user ruby just do the
following on the client machine

ssh -fNL 2222:localhost:4242 ruby@server # (1)

do not forget to kill the ssh process on the client eventually.

The ruby client connects to localhost:2222 on the client machine now.

(1) N.B. localhost is localhost at the server.

HTH
Robert