On 5/3/07, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/07, Robert Dober <robert.dober / gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You mean you want to have your cake *and* eat it ;)?
>
> Actually, this is no problem at all, in fact you have to have your
> cake before you eat it.
>
> The trick is to eat your cake and have it too.
>
> Almost everyone gets this old saying backwards.
As the English language is the greatest victim of trivialization by
foreign speakers and writers I appreciate enormously to get these
things right.
It is a great irony that countries like France, where I happen to
live, are very worried about the influence of English - and they are
right because I do not feel that English verbs scale very nicely into
latin languages but this is beyond my point.

The true "victim" of English's globalization is English itself. But
that is how languages have evolved for millennia now and there is
nothing we can do about it. (Imagine the shock Sallust, Cicero or
Caesar would have had when hearing the vulgo from of Latin that gave
birth to latin languages).

But I do not like it nonetheless.

Cheers
Robert