Robert Dober wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Michael W. Ryder <_mwryder / worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> <cut>
>> Your solution is about the same as the solution I found "clumsy".
> You are not coming from a Unix background, are you? We are used to
> pasting things together like that, but I respect your taste.
>  > I can
>> use a.tr to remove multiple different characters such as: a ="This is a
>> test, this is only a test!". a.tr(",!", "") will remove the comma and
>> exclamation mark.  So why can't I use the same method to remove the
>> comma and replace the exclamation mark with a period?  I know that there
>> are escape codes for things like tabs and new-lines, so I was wondering
>> if there was one for a null character.
> I understood that you wanted to delete a character not to replace it
> with a null character, which should be possible via \000. But I fail
> to see the purpose of this in the context of your question.
> Robert

I find your sig very appropriate.  I can find several ways to clean up a
string using two or more operations, I was just looking to see if there
was not also a way to do the same thing with one operation.
In some ways Ruby is far easier to use than the language I have been
using for over 25 years, but there are other places it is much harder.
I am doing a lot of experimenting to find out the best way for me to do
things and this is the latest experiment.