On May 2, 2007, at 08:57 , John Joyce wrote:

> On OS X 10.4.9
>
> When trying to run a simple file starting with:
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'mysql'
>
> I get this:
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- mysql (LoadError)
>         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
> custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
>         from mysql_ruby.rb:3
>
> But when I do a local:
> gem list my
>
> mysql (2.7)
>
> So I know it is there. Other gems seem fine. irb also says there is
> no mysql gem.
> MySQL is installed and running. With Rails it works.
> What I am doing is not Rails, but is Ruby.
> Can anybody help out?

First, this is a good problem report. I'd like to see more people
writing the list with such good problem descriptions.

Has it ever worked? If not, then you probably ignored/missed an error
on gem install with it complaining about not being able to build.
There will be a log file in the gem's dir stating what went wrong.
Chances are it is missing/unknown config/headers. Rebuild it by doing
gem install again. You'll probably have to do something similar to:

sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/opt/local/bin/
mysql_config5