rk> - Easy to extend in C...this is relevant to both Perl and Java users.

Indeed.

Never could get a handle on Perl extensions.  For a language that
made so many things so easy, extensions seemed so bloody confusing.
Tcl extensions are okay, but so far I've found Ruby extensions the
easiest to do.

With Perl and Tcl I'd use hashes/arrays to loosely construct
structures grouping associated variables together.  (This was before
Perl pretended to do OO.  Sorry, but its concept of OO just didn't
fit my brain well.)  With Ruby, before I knew it I was slapping
things into classes.  Then I was adding additional methods to
further abstract things.  And so progressed the building block
process....

Oh, didn't mean to get into comparisons.  Well, gotta start
somewhere.

--
Amos