Brian,

WOW!!! Thank you very much for taking so much of your time to help! :)
Pretty amazing.

Anyway, I think I may try your first approach of initiating a separate
Rails process per user.  We're only realistically talking about 10
concurrent users at any given time.  The webserver is relatively beefy
so it should be able to handle it with ease (4 X86_64 cpu's; 8GB RAM).

I'm also going to dive a bit further into Option 2.  The setuid wrapper
seems like a good plan.  Unfortunately, I'm no security expert; but our
HPC Systems Admins are very strong.  Net, I can work the solution
through them..

Thanks!
John