On Apr 30, 2007, at 12:00 AM, Daniel Berger wrote:

> On Apr 29, 8:52 pm, Gary Wright <gwtm... / mac.com> wrote:
>> Is there a way to disable rdoc's automatic cross referencing of
>> method
>> names?  I've got a method named 'null' but I don't want every
>> instance
>> of the word 'null' in the comments to be hyperlinked to the method
>> definition.  I tried writing '\null' or 'n\ull' but then the
>> backslash
>> shows up in the comments.
>
> Nope. I brought this up at
> http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-talk-google/browse_frm/thread/
> 9379ed6b1c907f17/82b5df7ee399b70d?#82b5df7ee399b70d
>
> I find it annoying, too.

I read that thread.  I think the default heuristic is ok.  In the
thread you suggested an explicit syntax to trigger the cross-reference.
I'd suggest an explicit syntax to disable the cross-reference.

I could of course come up with a patch but even if adopted it would
take a while to propagate through the Ruby ecosystem.  I was hoping
there was a trick or hack of some sort.

I see that this issue is actually entered into the the tracker for rdoc
as issue 9316.  There are quite a few unresolved issues in the list...

Gary Wright