Brian Candler wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 04:48:37AM +0900, John Clisham wrote:
>> is running under.
>>
>> Is this possible?  Any ideas?
>
> The user will authenticate by providing their OS username and password?
>
> Perhaps you could use PTY.spawn and run 'su - username'

Yes, I will authenticate useing their OS username and password. I
haven't used PTY.spawn before.  Does it just spawn off a new psuedo
terminal?  After doing a 'su -username' and authenicating; I want to
execute a block of ruby code as that user.  Ideally that block would
return a ruby object that I could then manipulate in the broader app.
(ie since this is a Rails app, I would execute controller code as the
authenticated user (ie to get job files); and use one set of views for
all users.

Am I making sense or over thinking this?  Basically, I'm trying to avoid
calling everything in shell's and reading in stdout.  I'm trying to stay
completely in Ruby here.

THanks!
KF