On 30/04/07, Tim Hunter <TimHunter / nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Michal Suchanek wrote:
> > Why do you want the users to use command line on Windows? You can make
> > directories and move around files in both Explorer and Ruby just fine.
> > There are commands like ipconfig or net which only work in command
> > line but these are needed only in very specific situations.
> >
> > Ruby scripts open their own text window so you do not have to start
> > them from command line for that. At least it works for me.
> >
> > And if you want a real shell there is msys (the support environment
> > for mingw) which has a bourne shell, coreutils, diff, ...
> >
> I don't want anybody to do anything in particular. I simply observe that
> occasionally Ruby users on Windows *need* to use the command line, to
> install gems, to set up Rails projects, etc., and those who don't know
> how to do this might appreciate some help.

I use ruby on Windows and I never really needed to use the windows
commandline in connection with ruby. The one click installer
associates scripts with ruby so all I need is to write the script in
an editor and doubleclick it. But a windows shell extension "irb here"
similar to the MS "Command Prompt Here" could be useful.

I have never tried to use Rails or install additional gems so I do not
know about that.
I think there could be something like CPAN shell for gem installation.
The CPAN shell runs in a loop and executes simple commands like
"install <something>" or "remove <something>".

Thanks

Michal