What I like about Ruby, and what piqued my interest, was that it could do all of the things I came to like in other languages (OO,
regexes, weak typing), but also provided those things in a way that was fairly easy to grasp.

<editorializing>
In general, what I think previous articles on Ruby did wrong was to directly compare/contrast Ruby and other languages.  As we've
seen, this sort of thing can inflame the zealots.

Seems as soon as someone says, "And Ruby, [unlike|just like] [some language] ...", (some) people take this as a challenge and feel
the need to defend their language of choice.  People won't really see Ruby if they view it thru Perl or Python or Java glasses.
</editorializing>

So, I wonder if there would be an advantage to just not mentioning any other languages?

James