On 4/27/07, Lyle Johnson <lyle.johnson / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/27/07, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown / gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have an example from yesterday I could probably expand a bit and add
> > commentary to, but you're absolutely right, we need a quick tutorial.
>
> Yes, that example looks like just about the right level of detail for
> a quickstart tutorial. One thing I'd add (if it's straightforward to
> do so) is a demonstration of how to produce a nice HTML or PDF report
> in addition to the plain-text report.

a.to_html
a.to_pdf
a.to_csv

:)

I will probably show how to make custom output for those though, as
you're just going to get tables for each of them, which isn't so
exciting.

> With regards to Jamey's comments: I hope my previous message didn't
> come across as hostile or overly negative.

I didn't take it that way.  Your points were spot on.   It's a common
concern, but by reminding us, it'll force us to think about getting it
done.

> I know you and the other
> Ruport developers have put a lot of work into this, and now that I
> know a little more about what Ruport can do, I'm already thinking
> about ways we might be able to use it here at work.

That's awesome!   We tend to be isolationist (well not really), so if
you don't hear much from us on RubyTalk, definitely drop by the list
(http://list.rubyreports.org) or #ruport on Freenode if you start
using it.

> I think that by
> adding just a little more newbie-oriented information on the home page
> -- whether it's tutorials, images of sample reports, etc. -- you're
> going to be able to hook a lot more people like me who were in the
> dark about Ruport.

We were very afraid to do this when everything was changing so fast.
Now that things are getting a bit more polished, I think we'll be able
to fill in that gap and hopefully help some folks.