On 4/27/07, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown / gmail.com> wrote:

> 5.  If you're not a user yet, what can we do to get you interested?

OK, I'll bite. ;)

Ruport is one of those projects that I've had on my list to look at
one of these days. I don't think I have an immediate need for it, but
it sounded like the kind of thing that I might need some day.

So I just went to what I assume is the Ruport home page
(http://ruport.rubyforge.org/, which redirects to
http://stonecode.svnrepository.com/ruport/trac.cgi). Since I don't
have any experience with Ruport, or with reporting toolsets in
general, I immediately started looking for a tutorial or something to
give me an idea of what this really is -- a sort of "Hello, World!"
for Ruport.

I clicked through the "Tutorials, Examples and Articles" link, and see
tutorials for "ActsAsReportable" (which sounds Rails-oriented), a
"Rope Cheatsheet" (and I don't yet know what Rope is) and a "Recipe
Book". None of those sounded like what I'm looking for. I started
going through the presentation slides found elsewhere on the page, and
finally in the middle of the second presentation, I saw my first (and
only) screenshots of Ruport-generated reports (yay!). But I guess what
I would love to see on that page (or elsewhere) is a really basic,
"Ruport in 10 minutes" kind of tutorial, with even a trivial data set,
that walks you through the process of generating a report.