Bob Hutchison wrote:

> Yes, but not quite as bad as it seems at first. All you have to do is
> *read* UTF-8 and UTF-16, you do not have to use either character encoding
> internally and you can output any encoding you like (though to be safe you

How can you possibly read UTF-16 and not be able to write it back out.
Further, you have to be able to give it to the User in some useable format.
Not all UTF-16 maps to UTF-8, so I don't see a read-only implementation as
a solution.  For me, the XML read-write operations must be XML reflexive.

> I think the way to go in the end will be for Ruby (and Eiffel and other
> languages) to stop equating characters and bytes. The problem isn't just
> with XML.

Yeah, I agree.  If Java got one thing right, it was detaching characters
from bytes, and supporting UTF out of the box.

--- SER