On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 03:56:38PM +0900, Guy Speier wrote:
> I **believe** I have the problem narrowed down to this line of code in
> /vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:
> configuration.frameworks.each { |framework| require(framework.to_s) }
>
> I Say I think I've got it narrowed doen to this line of code, because I
> have it flanked by puts "AAA" and puts "BBB", and whenever I execute:
> config/environment.rb
> there is a ~6 second pause between AAA and BBB to STDOUT.

Rails does indeed have a long startup time. But normally it doesn't matter,
because the same instance should remain around to handle subsequent
requests.

So it sounds like you've broken something else, such that either Rails can't
start at all, or it starts, handles one (or a few) requests, and then
terminates.

Debugging this would depend on exactly how you're running rails, e.g. under
fastcgi, or under mongrel, or webrick. I suggest you go to the Rails google
group for advice, since this is the Ruby Language list, not the Rails group.

Regards,

Brian.

P.S. Don't run rails as a normal CGI. This will *guarantee* a 6-second
startup overhead for every page request.