Brian et al,

General: I think this thread is very interesting and
important. Thanks to all...

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Brian Marick wrote:

> - maybe a stress test driver (something that forks off a bunch of tests all
>    at once).
>
> - a tool to populate databases with test data, maybe randomly, maybe
>    with variation.
>
> - a tool to combine lists of test data such that every pairwise combination
>    of values is present. (That is, if A=[on, off] and B=[red, yellow, green],
>    the result is [on, red], [on, yellow], etc. It gets more complicated if you
>    have more variables and you want a minimal list.)

I've got some stuff brewing related to these things. You may want to
search for 'autotest' on the ruby-talk archive; I released something
earlier this year but it was pre-alpha-alpha and not sure of its
worth. Idea there was to write "generalised" test cases and have
generators generating the actual test data. The generators have knowledge
of "bounds" so partly related to "boundary value testing". Feel free to
take a look and comment.

My PhD will include a description of a system which try to combine
executable contracts/specs with automated testing. All in Ruby. But this
is very much in the works so its too early to give something away. I also
have to check everything with my university before releasing. However, my
intention is to release as open-source in some form.

Regards,

Robert