On 19 Apr 2007, at 04:51, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>> I'm not sure that Erlang is the right place to be looking for good
>> Ruby concurrency models, given the fundamental differences between
>> the two languages. What I think would be interesting though is if
>> some of the CSP and Pi-Calculus inspired stuff that's being worked
>> on by the KRoC team (http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/projects/ofa/kroc/)
>> make it into the Ruby world.
> Uh ... I'll go check it out, but don't get me started on Pi-
> Calculus vs. Petri Nets in the Business Process Modeling arena. :)
> Suffice it to say I've been studying Petri nets for something like
> 20 years now and I find Pi-Calculus and CSP (and related process
> algebra notations) dang near impossible to read as a result.

Well I can't say I like the maths notations much - reminds me too
much of studying control theory back in the 80s and wondering why my
lecturer was so excited about what amounts to little more than
plumbing diagrams. It's so ironic that I ended up working in embedded
control systems...

I think possibly I'm more attracted to the Occam-pi language
structures as I can sense ways in which they can be implemented using
Ruby's threads or dRb/Rinda and multiple processes.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
----