I figured out my earlier problem, here is the solution to talking to
my own Java webservice via WSDL,

# main.rb
# April 18, 2007
#
require 'soap/wsdlDriver'

wsdl ='http://localhost:8080/helloservice-war/HelloService?wsdl'
driver = SOAP::WSDLDriverFactory.new(wsdl).create_rpc_driver

   sayHelloResponse = driver.sayHello(:arg0 => 'pookieMon')
   puts sayHelloResponse.return

Earlier, the two main problems were,

1.) I was doing 'sayHelloResponse = driver.sayHello('pookieMon')',
but that kept sending a null to my webservice. I had to change this
to 'sayHelloResponse = driver.sayHello(:arg0 => 'pookieMon')'.

2.) I kept getting a SOAP Message Object returned as a result and had
to use object.inspect to get the actual message. Turns out the
returning XML returns the result String in a <return>String</return>
format. The solution is to call the return method via Object.return.

Thanks.

-Moazam