On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 11:15:10AM +0900, smtalim wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:57 am, Chad Perrin <per... / apotheon.com> wrote:
> > I was surprised, while reading Satish Talim's ruby tutorial, to discover
> > that main is actually a method -- at least, it is according to the Open
> > Classes section of the tutorial:
> >
> >  http://rubylearning.com/satishtalim/ruby_open_classes.html
> >
> > To quote:
> >
> >   Please note that self.class refers to Object and self refers to method
> >   main. Therefore while running this program you are executing the main
> >   method of object Object.
> >
> > Is that correct?  I would have thought main was an instance of Object,
> > and thus was an object itself, not a method of class Object.  Using
> > Object.methods within irb doesn't list a main method, so I'm skeptical.
> >
> > --
> > CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [http://ccd.apotheon.org]
> > Brian K. Reid: "In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."
>
> Hi Chad,
>
> I stand corrected.
>
> That was the impression I was carrying when I started learning Ruby
> (and coming from a long Java background). I realized my folly a long
> time back and corrected my statement here -
> http://sitekreator.com/satishtalim/first_program.html
>
> but forgot to correct the same at the url you mention. Thanks for
> pointing it out - it's now corrected.

I'm glad I could be of help, then.  Thanks for the tutorial, by the way.
I find that, even when I'm experienced with a given language beyond the
target audience of a given tutorial, every halfway decent programming
tutorial has something to teach me -- and yours has helped.

Amazon.com interview candidate: "When C++ is your
hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb."