On 4/15/07, Tim Pease <tim.pease / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/15/07, Sonny Chee <sonny.chee / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a cross-platform way of generating an 'end-of-file'
> > character? Alternatively, does anyone know how to figure out what the
> > 'end-of-file' character is for a particular OS?
> I had no idea it was platform dependent.  I always assumed it was ^D
> for all platforms.
>
> "\004" should be it.

This is not correct. There is, in fact, no "end-of-file" character on
Unix, and Ctrl-Z (0x26) is the end-of-file character on Windows only
when the file is not opened in binary mode. It is conventional for a
terminal to accept Ctrl-D (0x04) as an end of file character, but this
is convention, not standard.

If you want to close a file, just close it. The underlying routines
will do the appropriate work necessary.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca