It won't connect.  I tried it with a friend 400 miles away, and I tried 
it on 2 comps here on my home network.  I get a DRbConnError no matter 
what variation I try.  Firewall off/on, port forwarding and port 
triggering off/on.  The server and client snippets of relevance are below.

#SERVER
<snip>
$uri = "druby://localhost:7824"

if $0 == __FILE__
  theApp = FXApp.new
  $server = STCCGServer.new(theApp, "GameServer")
  thr = Array.new
  thr << Thread.new do   
    theApp.create
    $server.show
    theApp.run
  end
  DRb.start_service($uri, $server.game)
  thr << DRb.thread
  thr.each{|thread| thread.join}
end

#CLIENT
<snip>
$port = 7824
join.connect(SEL_COMMAND) do
  self.hide
  owner.name = namefield.text
  owner.game = DRbObject.new(nil, "druby://#{ipfield.text}:#{$port}")
  File.open($deck_dir + filefield.text.strip, "r"){|file| 
owner.game.add_player(namefield.text, file.gets)}
  sleep(1) until owner.game.game_start
  owner.make_interface
end

When I run the server and client on my machine, things work.  When I run 
the client and server on seperate machines listed above, I get 
DRbConnError.  Something so widely used like DRb must work, so I can 
only assume I've made an error somewhere and I have no idea what it is.

Thanks,
Raj