On 4/8/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:

> 1. The "miniruby" executable is left behind in the build directory but
> apparently it isn't installed anywhere.
> 2. It is (on Linux, anyhow) an executable.
>
>  $ file miniruby
> miniruby: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
> GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
>
> 3. It can at least do this:
>
> $ ./miniruby -e 'puts "Hello, world!"'
> Hello, world!
>
> So there you have it. What *else* miniruby can do I can't tell you. But
> it's there after a build and apparently *not* installed.

It's a build tool, which is why it's not installed.  It's used to
bootstrap building the real ruby since some of the installation tools
like instruby.rb, and extmk.rb are written in Ruby so a minimal ruby
is needed to install ruby!

What it can and can't do is a little mysterious, and appears to be
platform dependent.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.general/68084
--
Rick DeNatale