Jeff wrote:
> On Apr 7, 4:30 pm, James Britt <james.br... / gmail.com> wrote:
>> RubyGarden.org has been hosting the Ruby community wiki for, what, 7
>> years now?
>>
>> Shame more people don't know to use it.
>
> Hi James,
>
> Well, actually the rubygarden.org home page's main article is dated
> from 2005, which makes it look likes nobody cares about the site
> anymore.

Valid point.  Given that there's a new Ruby or Rails
blog/article/forum/aggregator/zine popping up every other day it's not
surprising.  Hard to get new content.

> The "New Ruby Users Survey", the top link in the right-hand sidebar,
> has a different css applied to it and seems to be from 2004.  For
> being the top link, these two facts deter users from thinking they've
> found a good place for Ruby information.

<lengthy_critique_snipped />

> Please don't take this the wrong way...

I won't.  I don't run that site.  If I had time to write up a lengthy
critique, I might consider lending a hand to help those who do run it.

> I bet there's a lot of good
> information on the wiki, and obviously many people have donated time
> and effort to it.  But at least right now, it doesn't seem to be a
> good resource for new Ruby users.

A wiki is what its users make it.

Still, the main page of the wiki

  http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby

has numerous links for getting started, under the first section, Ruby
for the Nuby.

I won't dispute that the site could be improved, both in content and
layout.  But, like most Ruby sites, it's a volunteer community effort.

I get all sorts of comments about ruby-doc.org, most helpful, but some
are just lists of complaints.  To those, my answer is (almost) always,
"Where's the patch?"

--
James Britt

"Blanket statements are over-rated"