On Apr 4, 2007, at 8:50 PM, Devin Mullins wrote:

> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> The series is an interesting read.  Tim's pretty focused on the
>> character based parsing and in my experience that's always death
>> in  Ruby.  It's the primary reason the standard CSV library is so
>> slow,  for example.
>
> Pardon my naet but why isn't the answer to make libxml, wrapped
> in a Rubyonic high-level API, part of stdlib? Stable, fast, and it
> wouldn't be the first Ruby extension in stdlib.

Apple is taking this road.  They needed XML for some of their
projects and REXML didn't meet their needs.  They plan to bundle
libxml, with Ruby bindings, in Leopard to get around this.

I think Matz tries to weight changes to the standard library very
careful as they can break a lot of code.  It's a tough balance to
strike, for sure.

James Edward Gray II