On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:49:05AM +0900, Jamal Soueidan wrote:

> I understood everything is a object, and the base class for all objects
> is object :)
>
> so when I try to write just that this line below in my code i get an
> error?
>
> puts just_something.class.to_s
>
> undefined local variable or method 'just_something' for main:object
>
> why does this happend?
>
> I cannot even write this below
>
> puts 'nil' unless just_something.nil?
>
> hope someone can help me understand whats wrong :)

Basically, everything *that exists* in Ruby is an object.  If it doesn't
exist yet, it can't be an object.  You have to have a "just_something"
before it can be an object.  You could try creating a "just_something"
with an assignment, for instance:

  irb(main):001:0> just_something = 0
  => 0
  irb(main):002:0> puts just_something.class.to_s
  Fixnum
  => nil