On 4/2/07, Matthieu Stone <matt.stone / cityticketexchange.com> wrote:
> Ah.. In that case you need to start you long running routine outside of
> rails. Something like backgroundrb, http://backgroundrb.rubyforge.org/

This is what we do in the Rails app I'm working on. We call a long
running series of SOAP API calls from BackgrounDRb and then a periodic
executor on the page calls a "progress" function which queries the
BackgrounDrb worker to get the current progress. This works pretty
well.

Though I was very annoyed to see the latest version of BackgrounDrb is
not supported on Windows. We deploy on Linux but develop on Windows so
we are stuck on the last release. If you are listening Ezra, it would
be nice if you could fix this :)

Ryan