<snip>
> When did I say otherwise? I believe my original point was simply one
> of surprise that BWT improved deflate, which I believe says more about
> deflate's deficiencies than BWT's use as a means of compression. I've
> only been trying to explain my reasoning for that thought ever since.

I'd like to ask a question Tom, as this is becoming a little bit
obscure, as you put it.

 BWT is used for bzip2 too, frankly I am surprised that you are surprised Tom.
As BWT will create repetitions, which is quite clear, and allows for
an easy undoing of its transformation would it not help a whole class
of compression algorithms.

When you talked about a deficiency would that not mean -in your setup
- that a compression algorithm should implicitly find "clever"
transformations...
If this was your thought it is an incredible advanced and frankly
optimistic idea.

And that is my question BTW (not BWT;) do you indeed look at this
issue from this angle?

I can accept it as a 100% true statement though :)

But I guess putting them together (transformation and compression), by
hand is quite clever already and pretty much state of the art.

Cheers
Robert
<snip

 T.