>  - how to put it in a Tk widget instead of a free floating window?
>
>  - how to click on it and get the viewed object to rotate
>
> You can see I'm spoiled by bigger ready-made front-end solutions such
> as Blender, Visualization Toolkit, Coin3d, the VRML viewers, CernRoot,
> CrystalSpace, SciLab, PyOpenGl, OpenDX, GnuPlot, QuesaLibrary, etc.
>
> Will roll my own if someone reveals I have to...

I haven't managed to make Phlip an FXRuby convert (yet ;) but I would invite
anyone else interested in these kinds of applications to take a look at
FXRuby, specifically its FXGLViewer and FXGLObject classes for OpenGL. The
"glviewer.rb" program that comes with the standard FXRuby distribution is a
nice demonstration of what's possible w.r.t. interactive rotating, zooming,
drag-and-drop, etc. of 3-D objects.