On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 11:47:33AM +0900, Kristoffer Lund??n wrote:

> Or just witness the huge popularity out there for the RAR format - a
> format that is popular only because it once got popular - and the only
> reason for that was that it made it easy to split archives into many
> small parts. This was important (especially for the pirate market, of
> course) in the days that a huge download could be corrupted. RAR
> allowed people to only redownload  one small part when that happened.
>
> Today, with torrents and hashes in all major protocols, this is
> essentially a moot issue, and the slightly better compression than
> some other formats is also negligible as in no user would actually
> notice any difference except for byte count in the file manager...
> Today it's just one big bad hassle, because people use it a LOT and
> this means installing an extra program on every computer you use if
> you want to participate - a non-free program at that, for those of us
> who care.
>
> Using RAR amounts to Cargo Cult Compression in my opinion, as it's
> only invoking the old ritual of times past because "we have always
> done it this way" with no understanding on why and no actual benefits.
>
> Not that it's really the best solution for many reasons, but if you
> want to be really practical, people should use zip for all their
> compression needs - because that's the only format all modern OS:es
> can open with no extra software, at least that I know of.

In general, I agree with your assessment of the situation, but I'm not
entirely sure about one thing you said.

Is zip format really available with all OSes without extra software?
I'm pretty sure MS Windows requires one to install additional software
still, and I don't seem to recall zip being standard on all major Linux
distributions.  I haven't bothered to check whether it's available on
FreeBSD, mostly just because I haven't needed an unzipper in quite a
while.

Leon Festinger: "A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell
him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts and figures and he
questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."