On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 08:00:52AM +0900, John Joyce wrote:
> It really does work pretty much the same way as you would do it with
> PHP.
> You can make it as simple or as complex as you like.
> Use Ruby include or require for the same files.
> eRuby is just a lot more concise than PHP is the result.
> Your pages become readable again.
> It's not different in terms of breaking up files into:
> Commonly reused elements (header, navigation, footer, analytics scripts)
> Content unique to a page.

Could you provide an example?  The following, an apparently direct
translation from PHP (as far as I can tell), doesn't work.

index.rhtml:
  <%
    title = "Home"
    require 'template.rhtml'
  %>

template.rhtml:
  <head>
    <title>Welcome <%= title %></title>
  </head>

> For a simple, fairly static site, you're biggest concern is this
> organization of files.
> Anything that is the same on multiple pages should get put into a
> separate file.

I'm aware of this.  That's why I'm trying to figure out how to make the
above tactic work.

> Of course you can also always just parse files by having the files
> written and produced once then storing those, thus saving the
> processing time on the server.

Not always an option -- but I have used it in the past.

Amazon.com interview candidate: "When C++ is your
hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb."