It really does work pretty much the same way as you would do it with
PHP.
You can make it as simple or as complex as you like.
Use Ruby include or require for the same files.
eRuby is just a lot more concise than PHP is the result.
Your pages become readable again.
It's not different in terms of breaking up files into:
Commonly reused elements (header, navigation, footer, analytics scripts)
Content unique to a page.

For a simple, fairly static site, you're biggest concern is this
organization of files.
Anything that is the same on multiple pages should get put into a
separate file.

Of course you can also always just parse files by having the files
written and produced once then storing those, thus saving the
processing time on the server.