Hal E. Fulton [mailto:hal9000 / hypermetrics.com] wrote:

> Just to make sure the topic is closed, I'll force invocation
> of Godwin's Law by yelling (in no particular direction):
> "Look! Nazis!"

If only it were true; the jargon file declares that option invalid...

From http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/Godwin's-Law.html:

Godwin's Law prov.

[Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a
comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a
tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over,
and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument
was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence
of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is
also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of
Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be
unsuccessful."

Of course, we could just end it because we feel like it, which I
definitely do. One of my coworkers was commenting on the fact he would
just nuke the whole thread if not for that [ruby-talk:xxxxx] thing at
the beginning of the subject line, which I think is a tool of Nazi
oppression... ;-)

Nathaniel

<:((><
+ - -