On 3/29/07, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists <tpo2 / sourcepole.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>
> > S. Robert James wrote:
> >> Perhaps JRuby will address these and library issues, but I think JRuby
> >> is targeted more towards using Ruby to talk to Java, not enhancing
> >> Ruby in its own right.  Perhaps over time, as more people adopt Ruby,
> >> all of these issues will be addressed more...
> >
> > Au contraire...JRuby aims to be the best Ruby possible on the JVM. If that
> > ultimately means we solve some issues (threading, performance, unicode,
> > scaling) before/better than the C implementation, so be it. But it will still
> > be Ruby, and we intend to run all the same apps unmodified (or as close to
> > unmodified as possible).
>
> I think Robert was hinting toward the idea that once JRuby is "usable"
> (however that might be defined) it will have access to Java's mature
> libraries, instead of using Ruby's XML, SOAP, ... (others?), which are not
> as far as Java's.
> *t

On JRuby 'usability': I was at a Spring (the Java DI framework) conference
recently where Spring global transaction support (i.e. really difficult to do,
even in Java, enterprisey stuff, go-to-jail-if-you-get-it-wrong etc. etc.) got
dependency injected into Java code, and then bubbled up the call stack
to Ruby code running on top of it. All through JRuby.

Good enough for me.

Also consider that the Java library space is not a mature superset of the
Ruby library space. Ruby brings a lot of interesting techniques to Java
developers. By using both you have *increased* the amount of tools
available to you.