On 3/28/07, Giles Bowkett <gilesb / gmail.com> wrote:
> > Even if OO databases are flawed, I'd rather be able to think OO, store
> > OO, and model things as OO.  Yeah, maybe a Smalltalk guy can help. :)
>
> I'm not really qualified to say for sure one way or the other, but I
> do know Smalltalk guys love OO DBs, and a friend of mine told me that
> some significant trading systems run on Gemstone (an OODB with a
> pretty strong historical association with Smalltalk).

Gemstone is/was basically a Smalltalk dialect with persistent shared objects.

It got some mindshare from Smalltalkers, but then again so did object
relational mappers like Toplink and the database stuff built into
VisualAge.

Although Toplink is known now mostly as a Java thing, it started out
in Smalltalk.  It was originally produced by The Object People, a
Smalltalk-based company in Ottawa. The Top in Toplink is an acronym
for The Object People.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby