From: Eric Lee Green [mailto:eric / badtux.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 10:28 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: [ruby-talk:24558] Re: Final word on rdtool vs. doxygen
licensing

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 11:16 am, you wrote:
> You can argue that "it doesn't matter" or "everyone does it" but that will
> not change the reality that GPL is a big problem.  This is not an academic
> issue.  Most non-linux based companies will never touch a GPL license.
> Companies avoiding Ruby is a serious practical problem, no matter what the
> legal arguments are.
>
> P.S.  It is not polite to claim you have the "final word" on a topic of
> open discussion.  That is an attempt to hamper discussion.

As vs. grinding ideological axes?

We're supposed to be engineers. We're supposed to be evaluating things based
on concrete criteria, not on ideology. Regarding non-Linux companies, I have
only worked for one Linux company in my entire career (Linux Hardware
Solutions). The rest of my career has been spent at non-Linux companies that
support a large number of different platforms where we looked at tools based
upon cost-effectiveness and technical capabilities. My current employer is a
hardware vendor where I work in a group that provides the software component
of solutions to customer's problems. I just shipped product to a Fortune 5
company. Believe me, they don't give a flying flip about what license
individual components in our solution carry. All they care about is the
license for the entire product, and whether it'll do the job or not in the
most cost-effective manner.

You and Tom Christianson appear to have an axe to grind when it comes to
licensing, spreading all sorts of untruths about what various licenses do
and
do not say. Grind away. Expect the rest of us to ignore you.

'Nuff said.

--
Eric Lee Green          GnuPG public key at http://badtux.org/eric/eric.gpg
           mailto:eric / badtux.org  Web: http://www.badtux.org