Le samedi 24 mars 2007 15:40, Michael Brooks a rit
> Hello:
>
> I've been using Ruby on-and-off for about 4 weeks now and love it.
> However, some of the naming consistencies really bug me.  The ones that
> bug me the most are the "print", "puts" and "putc".
>
> I'd like to suggest that the functionality of the names "puts" and
> "print" should be swapped so that "print" automatically sends a newline
> character and "puts" doesn't.
> [...]
> Michael

The names of the methods puts and putc obviously come from the C language,
where they act in the same way than in Ruby. This explains their behavior.

As for the consistency, I'd like to quote Matz on this :
Consistency does not come first in the Ruby's design.

I think that a majority of developper expects puts and putc to behave like it
does now, making Ruby easier to learn, even if the initial naming in C is
debatable.

Regards,

--
Olivier Renaud