Just some clarifications about my question:

I'm a Ruby newbie, but have quite a lot of Java/C/C++/Objective-C
experience, so it's not the templating concept that I'm unsure about but
the HOW of using templates in Ruby.

I've written a ruby fcgi website dispatcher that performs all kinds of
extra "behind the scenes" processing, but at the moment I only use ERB
in a token fashion. Combining multiple legal HTML files into a single
page is where I could do with some pointers. As far as I can see ERB
can't do this..

I have come across some references to Nitro, which does seem to have a
pretty decent templating engine, but I don't want to pull a whole MVC
framework (not to mention Og).. I'm basically looking for a standalone
templating solution.