Here are some tips on OS X.
in Apple script it is very English like, "Tell application appname, ..."
also there is a command line tool in OS X called (of all things)
open
open takes the application name or file name as required argument.
If you only pass it the file name, it will open the default app for
the file type.
You can tell it to open a file with a particular app too.
Too bad this puppy isn't on Linux.
Syntax is very easy too.
check out the man page on open.