On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 01:40:35AM +0900, Josef 'Jupp' Schugt wrote:
> * Kyle Schmitt, 22.03.2007 16:56:
> > And don't ask people to participate in theft like that.
>
> I'd suggest not to use the term "theft" in this context because for
> example in Germany to commit a theft ("Diebstahl") you need to take
> away something physical (and movable) from someone else. This does
> not mean that in Germany it is no crime to download the book but only
> means that downloading it is a different kind of crime. I'd suggest
> simply writing it "unethical and illegal acts like that".

It's not "theft" in the United States, either.  It's "copyright
infringement".  The law recognizes a distinct difference between "theft"
(depriving someone of something by taking it) and "infringement"
(violating a legally granted monopolistic privilege).

The book isn't closed on the subject of copyright infringement being
ethical, either.  Let's just stick with calling it "infringement" or an
"illegal" act, and avoid the controversy -- unless you really want to
hear my views on a logically consistent system of ethics derived from
first principles as it relates to the concept of "intellectual
property".