I basically want to have a CSS preprocessor, server-side of course.
(I'd actually like CSS3 to be finished and widespread, but that's
like watching rocks grow)
This looks interesting. Perhaps.
It's on the right track with variables to substitute in for commonly
used values. That's one of the big things lacking in CSS now. But it
doesn't seem as simple as it should/could be.

But perhaps the best approach is building my own ERb solution and
using something with Rails API AssetTagHelper from rails/actionpack/
action_view/helpers/asset_tag_helper.rb
stylesheet_link_tag(*source)
piped through ERb?
Need to sit down with it later!