On 3/22/07, Joel VanderWerf <vjoel / path.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > Thank ghu I don't have to do business with you, because I wouldn't trust
> > your programs to work with my most important assets. I assure you that
> > my data is far more important than the applications which do something
> > with the data. The applications increase value, but they NEVER provide
> > value. It's the data.
> >
> > * What's the most valuable thing that Amazon has? It isn't the programs;
> >  those are constantly updated and occasionally replaced. It's the
> >  customer DATA that they've amassed.
> > * What's the biggest worry intelligent people have about Google? It
> >  isn't the programs, it's the amount of DATA that Google contains about
> >  people.
> What is Google's most valuable asset? Not data. They recreate their data
> constantly.

I would (mostly) disagree. Obviously, Google provides value to its
customers/users because of the algorithms it applies to the data it
collects. However, the data Google has is of immense intrinsic value.
Part of the value that Google continually refreshes the data, but
saying that it's "recreated" constantly isn't quite true; it's
partially refreshed constantly. If they lost 20% of their data, it
would take them a *long* time to recreate that 20% because of the
sheer volume -- and some portion of that 20% would be forever lost.

Data matters immensely to Google.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca