On Mar 21, 2007, at 15:43 , Austin Ziegler wrote:

> I don't particularly like SQL databases. I just won't pretend -- like
> some people, which may or may not include yourself; I don't know since
> you've never made a statement on it, certainly not as stupid as
> "relational databases are evil" -- that object databases or xml
> databases or anything else like that is a good thing.

I actually love OODBs, and having worked for a major vendor in that
space, would consider myself knowledgeable in that arena.

> Ryan, that's really rich. I strongly suggest you look over your own
> contributions and harsh stances before you try to pull this particular
> stunt. I choose my battles carefully, and I don't tend to talk about
> stuff in harsh terms that I don't have extensive experience with. I
> know you do the same, but you'd really best look at how you're
> perceived before trying to tell me that my work is unapproachable for
> doing exactly what you do.

I hear you and for the most part agree. We're polarizers.

Checking my last 200 mail going to ruby-talk (to sept 2006), I don't
remember (I'm not about to re-read all of them) a single one of them
having a directed personal attack. The harshest I've gotten on the
list in the past year or two centered around one of my favorite gems
being poisoned, and it still didn't have a personal attack in it. I
think the second harshest I've gotten centers around writing
image_science because rmagick/imagemagick sucks (and well, it does).
I try keep my polarized opinions on my blog, where they belong.

I think the main difference is that I know when to stop. I doubt
there is a single thread in the past 4 years I've participated in
with more than say... 5 emails from me (that's a total guess). I see
at least 10 such threads for you in your last 200 (going back to Oct
2006--so pretty close to the same posting rate) There'd probably be
some value in aggregating posts by author and then subject.

So this isn't entirely a pot calling a kettle black.