On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Chad Perrin wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 07:17:29AM +0900, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
>>
>> can you give an example of some data which were not processed by at least
>> one
>> peice of software, hardware, or meatware (people) before they were stored?
>
> Wait -- we're talking about human beings as "applications" now!?

heh.  no, not quite ;-)  i'm just pointing out the various steps which take
place before data are stored

   information -> applications -> data -> applications -> hopefully new information

but most people visulalize this like so

   data -> applications -> hopefully new information

and in reality it's something more like

   ... information -> applications -> data -> applications ->
         information -> applications -> data -> applications ->
           information -> applications -> data -> applications ->
             information -> applications -> data -> applications -> ...

it's simply a mistake to consider the data some sort of ultimate 'starting
point' imho.

-a
- the dalai lama