Demetrius,

Response below...

On 3/20/07, Demetrius Gallitzin <gallitzin / gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in several things.
<snip>

> 2) Business Analysis (OLAP and Data Mining)  -- Decision support is
> interested in analyzing rather than processing data. Normalized data,
> to me, seems all about processing data.  As the purpose of data
> analysis is to examine and uncover the redundancies in data, the
> uniqueness constraints placed on the relational model by the
> normalization process are not desirable for decision support (Roiger
> and Michael Geatz, _Data Mining: A Tutorial-Based Primer_ 2003, page
> 182). To me, it means that transaction databases in normalized form
> aren't structured well for OLAP or Data Mining type functions.

<snip>

I have been working on the ActiveWarehouse project, which is a plugin
for Rails designed to make it easier to develop data warehouses on
Rails. As such I've spent the last 6 months research data warehouse
techniques and technologies and have become quite interested as well.
We use a denormalized dimensional model for our data warehouse, which
is one way to develop a data warehouse, and it is working out quite
well. With larger databases though, especially with both large facts
and large dimensions, query response time degrades fairly quickly. In
response to this I (and others in the AW development team) have been
playing around with implementing alternate cube storage and query
systems. One of the most promising is the Dwarf algorithm
(http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/sismanis02dwarf.html by Sismanis et. al)
which I've been reading about for about 2 weeks now.

Anyhow, I recommend checking out the current trunk of ActiveWarehouse
( http://rubyforge.org/scm/?group_id=2435 ) to see if there is
anything that piques your interest. We have also developed an ETL tool
as well as some other Rails enhancements as well.

V/r
Anthony Eden

--
Cell: 808 782-5046