On Mar 20, 11:29 am, "Demetrius Gallitzin" <gallit... / gmail.com>
wrote:
> I have searched around, but I very rarely find any mention of Ruby
> with OO databases.  YAML might work as a database, but I am hoping for
> something more like db4o.com's GPL database engine.
>
> Does anyone attempt Ruby with something like db4o.com's oo database engine?
>
> I personally think that relational storage is evil.  It was built in a
> time where computers were much slower and much dumber, but we have not
> gotten any smarter.  For transactional databases, it attempted to
> optimize speed and CRUD functions.  For datawarehousing and business
> intelligence, relational databaes serve no purpose.  Has anyone dealt
> with relational star and constellation schemas for datawarehouses?  An
> oo structure would suit business intelligence software much better.
> Ruby on Rails only masks an underlying problem.
>
> Reference that inspired the subject's title:http://blogs.tedneward.com/2006/06/26/The+Vietnam+Of+Computer+Science...http://www.odbms.org/download/031.01%20Neward%20The%20Vietnam%20of%20...
> (pdf from odbms.org)
> Disclaimer: I am unaffiliated with Ted Neward, db4o, odbms.org, etc. etc.

If you're interested I have written a Ruby OODB which uses an RDBMS as
a storage back-end. It's called "Normal Ivy" or just "Norma" for
short. It's just a prototype, at this point, which I wrote to ensure
my idea would work. It does. But I haven't the time to polish it into
a solid project. Of course, it will never be as efficient as a
straight RDBMS, but it would certainly work well for many database
needs. And since it uses a relational database on the back-end, many
of Austin's criticisms can be countered through the use of VIEWS.

T.